Saturday, September 16, 2017

Two Things


Read this in high school, so well written, made me more aware and accepting . . .



And this that deserves our support . . .


THE PLEDGE: I believe in a world where hope outshines fear.
I commit to stand up and speak out against hate and intolerance.
My support for LGBTQ youth will be steadfast. I am part of a global community that is proud and resolute in its efforts to create a 
brighter, more inclusive world for all people.
I know it will get better.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Front Runner. Wow! I sat here stunned for a few minutes as memories flooded back into my consciousness. When it first came out in 1974 and finally made it to my town, I was a college freshman (yes, I'm that old), struggling with the honesty of coming out instead of just living on the down low, in a failing marriage with a baby. This book showed me some of what I already knew (discrimination), more importantly, the complexities of living a gay life and how they compared to living a non-gay life, where really there wasn't that much difference. There was work to do: inside me, in my life in general, in looking at the future. What struck me the most was how the coach compared many of his own life attitudes with that of the fanatic at the Olympics (trying not to give a spoiler here).

Anybody who thinks gays are much better off now than in 1974 needs to read this book, to get an idea of the fragility of not only gay rights, but rights in general. Yes, we've come a long way, but we've got a lot of work yet to do.

My local library has this book, I think I'll go down today and check it out to read again. It's still that powerful.

Yours is still the last blog I read because it is the best.

JMac said...

Great Post that book made me feel that i was allright

Howard in CT said...

I first read Front Runner when I was coming to terms with my homosexuality.

I read it again every few years - it is that good.

Every gay man should read this book.